14.7.08

As promised - A Chat with Stephanie Wang


Okay, it is here as I said it would be (and earlier than I expected). Tonight I sat down to talk with my good, good friend Stephanie Wang. Steph graciously agreed to be the first FHS I.B. alum that I interview over the course of the year. Although she was nervous at first, she did get over her shyness and we had a great time discussing her experiences in I.B. and now at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa. During her years a Franklin, Stephanie was the president of Science Olympiad (actually sacrificing her spot on the team in order to spend more time doing paperwork). She was a top student and graduated as member of the Pinnacle. Stephanie is fun, light, speaks 3 languages fluently (English, Mandarin, and Taiwanese) and is now picking up her fourth language - Spanish - slowly but surely.
Alright - enough of me bragging about one of my best friends - lets get to the interview :)
____________________________________________________________________
Maggie (M): So Ms. Wang my name is Maggie and I will be interviewing you for the blog IB A Way of Life
Nice to meet you

Stephanie Wang (SW): same here

M: Now what year did you graduate from the Franklin IB program?

SW: 2007

M: Now, did you receive the I.B. diploma?

SW: Nope.

M: I see, and why would that be?

SW: Because I got a 2 on a HL exam

M: Which one?

SW: Gosh, getting personal here aren’t we – Chem. HL

M: Now, how did you move on from not getting the diploma? What was your outlook with it to begin with?


SW: Well I knew what mattered to the school I was attending. They wanted 5's and above in HL exams. So I was mostly just waiting for my History and English scores

M: And when you didn’t get the diploma how did you react? Was it a negative thing, or was it easy to move on?

SW: Well, I heard that I didn't get the diploma... maybe a week after the scores were out. My mom checked the newsletter and didn't see my name. I was off in an obscure village in Taiwan

M: Ah, so at that point, were you really emotionally attached?

SW: No I can’t say that I was.

M: Alright moving along, I am aware that you go to Grinnell College in Grinnell Iowa. How and why did you make that decision?

SW: Yep! I THINK Mr. Rogers was the teacher that told me about it. Either that or he was the one that validated it as a good school. Every time I went to the mall, I'd stop by Barnes and Noble and check out the college guide books (not just US rankings). And everything I read about relating to Grinnell was so compatible with me. So all along it had been my top choice. So yeah, I got an acceptance package in the mail it was surreal, let me tell you. AND they paid for us "prospies" (perspective students) to fly into Grinnell. And who would give up a chance to fly somewhere for free? So I went, and OMG it's like I walked into a paradise designed for me. So of course, now I'm going to school there

M: Great! Can you tell me about Liberal Arts Schools? What is it like attending one? What makes liberal arts schools different from big universities (other than size)?


SW: Liberal art schools are super awesome, but they're not for everyone.
[They] are good for developing the student as a person, [and there is] a lot more student professor interaction than a large research university (or at least that is how they're advertised). [They have] an emphasis on writing [and] a huge emphasis on being versatile as a person, and future employee.

M: Now do you enjoy the Midwest?


SW: I love it! But I wouldn’t if it weren’t for Grinnell. Life in the Midwest is rough. The winter in Stockton is spring and fall in Grinnell. Winter feels like it lasts about 6 months.

M: Now what was the best class you took this past year?

SW: Best how? Amount of learning or personal enjoyment?

M: Personal enjoyment! That is what college is for right?

SW: Uh, depending on who you are; personal enjoyment I would say my freshman tutorial. It was called "Black Men in Higher Education". The professor was fabulous. Yeah, pick classes for the professors not the contents. Professors make the content.

M: Note taken! Now moving back to IB, what was your favorite class in high school over the four year span?

SW: English classes in general.

M: Great! Now what was your Extended Essay topic?

SW: Labor as it related to life or something in the Good Earth.

M: That’s wonderful! Now, today IB students face lots of stress, I am sure it was the same for you. In your opinion what do you think parents can do to make that easier for the child?

SW: Be supportive and have a general idea of what’s going on. But I think laissez faire is the way to go.

M: Now, if you could do it all again (everything) what would you change?

SW: I would have spent more time reading for fun or enjoyment or for learning. I found out that cutting reading out of my schedule has hurt my ability to achieve (the way I’d like to) in college.

M: Overall would you do it all again?

SW: I enjoyed high school overall.

M: So you would do I.B. again?

SW: Would I want to repeat my high school experience? Yeah, I didn’t have a lot of drama or anything. High school was an overall good experience.

M: Yes, but what about I.B. (this is an I.B. blog you know).

SW: FHS IB certainly has its benefits, and the benefits are different for everyone. I think the most valuable experience from IB is that for 4 years, you are with, what feels like, the same people, and you learn to accept and even like most everyone. It's a very valuable skill to learn, very useful for the future, because so little is within your own control

M: Before we go do you have any teacher shout outs?

SW: To any teacher who has the same group of students for more than a year:
Thanks for putting up with us. :) I, personally, appreciate it. Anyone at 07 senior retreat would know that it means a lot for me to say that ;)
(I'm not known as being nice to teachers, FYI)
Any teacher would tell you that
Haha

M: One more question! What advice would you offer to any current I.B. student?

SW: Figure out what matters the most, so yes, grades are very important. Then figure out what it is about yourself that would make a college want you, and then capitalize on that.
Enjoy high school and stay out of drama!

M: Thank you Stephanie. It has been a pleasure talking with you!

SW: Yep, yep! Have a good year!
____________________________________________________________________
Alright guys! Next month's Alum will be Shan Girn - keep your eyes out, it should be up during the first couple of weeks in August.
Don't forget our Spotlight Teacher of the Month (Shari Potter) and our interview with Tina Lee, the booster president!

2 comments:

Spencer said...

you said "now" a fair amount hahaha

coffee and queso said...

i'm kinda jealous of you guys--i should have gone to a liberal arts school, but was intimidated by the cost and ended up at the big state school (UT.) Living in Austin was fun, as was going to school knowing a few friends from high school; but it was a very different experience and it was way too easy to just blend in and not connect with my professors, etc.

anyway, kudos and good luck!