15.7.08

Lets talk About Stress


S
T
R
E
S
S
-
S
T
R
E
S
S
!!
Stress plays a role in every I.B. student's life (don't deny it). Not a project, paper, or basically school day goes by without something that ruffles your feathers.


When I was a freshman, I remember that despite all the stress that comes from class I was most bothered by the amount of text books we had to carry. I asked an upperclassmen if it ever got better - and she looked at me with this absolutely incredulous face and said "Hon, it NEVER gets better" then pointed at her backpack, book bag, and pile of text books on the bench. Now I am not saying that every I.B. student carries four text books every day, and two large bags with a plethora of notebooks, paper, pens, binders (I'm sure you get the drift). In fact, halfway through my junior year I made the conscious decision to only carry one bag and my books. What brought this on? Well, after years of carrying everything that all six teachers asked to be brought (just in case of those random spot checks), I learned to breath. Carrying what felt right to bring to school has decreased my back pain - which is where I carry my stress. I found what worked for me (after 5 years, but still).


The thing about being an I.B. student is that you need to find out what works for you. I recommend figuring out what works during your freshman year (don't wait until you are a junior like I did). It can be an activity that you have done since childhood (I have a friend who is a competitive horseback rider) or your sport (water polo/swimming, tennis/badminton are popular sports for I.B. students). Other people have a specific food that calms them down, or take a nice bubble bath. For me, not only did I have to stop carrying so much, but I also use a combination of Yoga, Pilates, tea, and my favorite books (Jane Austen and Harry Potter). I can guarantee it that when you have figured out what helps you relieve stress you will feel much more comfortable in class, with deadlines, and with your workload.


Since I have been in the program for a while and have my own bag of tricks, I can tell from a glance or two which students are overwhelmed. My dad calls it "The Look". I used to be wound tighter than a sailor's knot. However, now that I know how to relieve my stress I am a much happier person. Just ask my friends - they will vouch for me!

1 comment:

Spencer said...

this almost makes me want to send you guys my time management powerpoint :|


Less can be more. Excel in one or two areas outside of studies, or else you run the risk of overextending yourself.

besides, it's quality over quantity. :]