16.7.08

Parents: Know What You're Getting Your Child Into.

I'm and incoming Junior in I.B. and I have yet to read a book in I.B. where someone doesn't die. The first book I ever read for I.B. was Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. I was still a bright eyed child in those days and thought that all books had Disney movie endings. Boy was I wrong. Two people ended up dieing in that book along with assorted animals. Death has since become a natural part of literature in my mind and whenever I read a book for pleasure I am always genuinely shocked when someone doesn't die. This being said here are some tips for getting your child through their I.B. books.
1. People will die in these books. Understand frustrated tears. Sometimes we get a bit attached to characters.
2.Make sure your child has a comfortable reading environment.
3. It's not a requirement that you read the books your child reads in I.B but I strongly suggest it. (If you've already read the book brush up on it.)Talking about what you both have read can help reinforce their knowledge.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

OKay - I realize that we talked about this point a lot last night... BUT... I want to reiterate! I have friends that don't read Jane Austen because Mrs. Dalloway and The Great Gatsby were too romantic (what a shame because Austen is social observation). Parents should talk to their kids about what they are experiencing. Students (especially the freshmen) get attached to characters. Remember when Katz died!!! And our teacher spoiled that for the whole class!!! We all started to cry in the middle of 6th period. We were 14... so I think parents should try to allieviate the pain