20.7.08

It's Time to Get Moving People!!!

I realize that school is nine days away from starting (yikes - time to get that summer reading done!). I know, I know you want to stretch those last little moments of summer vacation out as long as absolutely possible. But for a few moments lets look into the future and discuss ideas for October and the I.B. Global Lesson.

The IBO is not posting information on the actual lesson until September. But, we do know that it focuses on the "ethical implications of global poverty". There is a lot of planning we can do with that little bit of information.

I am suggesting two panel discussions on our early release Wednesdays (I think we mentioned this earlier). The first can focus on poverty on the local and national level, then the second will be dedicated to global poverty. Ideally we would have a group of students study the issue together and plan out the questions for the panels. The panels could be filled with teachers, community members, and students. It may be cool to invite teachers and/or students from the MYP and PYP programs at some of the elementary schools. If anyone has any suggestions about who we could ask to be on our panels email me at the club email - ibclubfhs@gmail.com

In TOK and MYP humanities (if the teachers are willing) students can participate in the Global Lesson on Friday, October 17th. I think it would be cool to actually teach the lesson on the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.

I think it would be appropriate for that night (a Friday) to screen a movie down in the little theatre, or in the library. My initial suggestion would be Richard Curtis's The Girl in the Cafe. Richard Curtis is a leading British screenwriter (in my opinion, but I am biased because he is my hero and I hope to work with him one day). He is mostly known in the US for the successful films Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, and Love Actually. However, in the UK he is recognized for his charity work and crusade against poverty. He is a co founder of Make Poverty History http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/, and Comic Relief http://www.comicrelief.com/. For those of you familiar with the Live 8 concerts, he was one of the people in charge of those. He wrote The Girl in the Cafe as a way to tell a story about poverty, and how important it is to make a stand against it. It is an interesting story of love first and foremost, but with a biting undercurrent of the implications of global poverty. The rating is UK 15, so I am not sure it would be possible to show this film at school (we will have to check) . Nevertheless I think it would be a great movie to watch and then discuss because it brings up some unsettling issues.

The film centers around the Millenium Developement Goals - which leads me to the GCAP. I reccomend that all I.B. students visit the Global Call to Action Against Poverty's website: http://www.whiteband.org/ and read their issues.

If any of you are wondering why I am so enthusiastic about this (or if you think "why would an incoming senior want to put any time into this at all?") my answer is this: for 40 years the I.B.O. has provided quality education, working at helping students become well rounded individuals. They are a global organization and they genuinely care about students all over the world. For the past four- six years of my life, I have reaped the benefits of this program. I feel that at Franklin we don't always connect with the I.B. community at large (or at our own school for that matter)> I see the participation in the Global Lesson and focusing of the issue of poverty as a way to become a part of our global I.B. community. So many of us benefit from this program, it is high time we gave back a little bit.

I am asking everyone who is willing to come to the I.B. club meetings to help us plan, debate, and discuss these ideas. I encourage you all to come up with ideas of your own. Post a comment, leave a message for me in the I.B. office, or send me an email!

REMINDER I.B. CLUB MEETINGS START THE SECOND TUESDAY IN AUGUST

6 comments:

krysta said...

i think that it's a good idea. now how you want the parents to get involved?

Anonymous said...

as an IB student, i am hurt to see that someone feels "Franklin [doesn't] always connect with the I.B. community at large."

eradicate poverty? are you serious? we already have enough problems. what's next? find a cure to cancer? find a solution to AIDS? if there's an answer, someone has probably found it.

we are doing what we can as an IB student. we are trying to connect with the "community at large" through the interactions of 150 hours of CAS.

sure, we want to save this world. let's begin that in our education. not in progressiveless meetings where a single dictator will lead on the group.

Anonymous said...

i agree. you are totally right. if there is a solution, someone has already found it by now.

it's not going to wait for us to find it.

charities around the world are sending food towards those countries that are in need of food. if you like to help, you can help one word at a time by going to freerice.com and start there.

other than that, i don't know what we can actually do to help.

for all we know, the roots of economic prosperity and the escape from extreme poverty for the world's poor citizens as already been exposed and on it's way to eradicate.

all i can say is that we can eat less for them to eat more. no shortages. more to go around.

america's increasing obesity rate is a problem. let's try to solve what's at home first sweety.

Anonymous said...

haha... obesity is a problem alright. but which is more of a problem? people dying because they don't have enough to eat?

or people dying because they eat too much? this is hilarious.

Paffdaddy said...

Wow! Disappointed to see such cynicism about such an important global issue. I am new to blogging and maybe a little naive, but I am really excited about the possibilities of this blog and I would love to see it stay positive and focused on being informative and helpful in the comments on any topic.

I am only curious, but why post anonymously? The more transparent we are about disagreements the easier it is to disagree in a constructive manner rather than in condescension and false bravery. I mean this in all sincerity and as constructive.

The idea presented in the two posts very much fits within in the IB mission as our name is INTERNATIONAL Baccalaureate. We need to consider problems at home as microcosms of the world at large and participate as world citizens in eliminating problems here and abroad as we are all human and no one deserves to suffer. There is much we can do beyond what is happening in regards to any world issue wether it be land mine removal, hunger, AIDS etc.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous names are totally necessary, they are half the fun. Because I have no clue who paffdaddy is, there's no way I would know who that is. Also you should sign each post with 'gossip girl.' By the way, Paffdaddy, what happen to Pdaddy #1


Gossip Girl